Mushroom Pizza Pita
Herb Gnocchi in Tomato Sauce
- 800 g Potatoes
- Fresh herbs chopped
- 3 Garlic cloves chopped
- Fresh Nutmeg grated
- 1 Egg beaten
- 800 g Canned Tomatoes chopped
- 1 Onion chopped
- 3 Garlic cloves crushed
- Small handful of finely chopped fresh Basil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cook the potatoes in a saucepan of lightly salted boiling water for 12-15 minutes, then drain well. Add the herbs, nutmeg and egg to the potatoes and mash well. Cool, cover and chill for 30 minutes or overnight if you have time.When you’re ready to cook, preheat your oven to 190°C/fan 170°C/gas 5.
- Make the sauce by putting the tomatoes, onion, garlic and basil in a saucepan over a medium-high heat. Season to taste and bring to the boil, then turn the heat down to medium and cook for 6-8 minutes. Spread the mixture over the base of a shallow ovenproof dish.
- Shape the potato mixture into bite-sized balls and arrange them in a single layer on top of the tomato mixture. Twist over a little black pepper and bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until hot and bubbling. Serve hot with salad.
Tip: For a cheesy treat, sprinkle grated fresh Parmesan (or a vegetarian alternative) evenly over the gnocchi and put them under a medium grill for the last 5 minutes of the cooking time (Cheese from your daily allowance)